music note II

from Ms McCormick - April 30

Hello Families, 

Ms. M here. Mr. Smith and I are well, and we send our best to each one of you.  You can't imagine just how much we miss your beautiful faces and all the wonderful play and learning we do in our music classes. I can see everything getting better soon, however; patience, grace and courage are the words of my day. 

I want to thank parents for supporting your children in creating musical instruments and sending me photos and videos of them. They are fantastic and I look forward to seeing more come in next week. One student created a stringed instrument using his Lego box, with pegs and strings, we saw shakers and auto harps and stringed instruments from Kleenex boxes, another student created a guitar with flames and one ambitious boy created a full 1 Man Band that included a drum set, 2 stringed instruments a flute together with percussion shakers. He even played We Will Rock You on them. Wow! 

They all rocked!!!! Congratulations. 

Keep them coming.

We will be moving forward in a week (I'll email the lesson for you to review) to a simple Unit where each of us listens to Vivaldi's Spring and then Vivaldi's Winter.  Music can provoke and ignite our imaginations and kindle the intellectual, physical and spiritual creativity in each of us.  I'm hoping that you, parents will enjoy doing this with your children and scribe their thoughts in a few sentences and email them to me. 

It will be interesting to see what Vivaldi inspires in my students.

I will be emailing the learning outcomes for both Units along with criteria for assessment to support you in supporting your children. Don't worry, however. As I said in my 1st email, we have covered a great deal of the curriculum to date and I've seen maturity, learning and development in each student. 

Please remember to email your number if you have any questions and or concerns and I will call you. 

In the meanwhile, know that you are on my mind and I wish for nothing but love and good health to all.

Kathryn